3. How is Julie’s life and longings reflected in her decisions regarding her medication? Do you think her initial suicide attempt is a reaction to her emotions or to the outside world?
4. The issue of post-partum depression has only recently been discussed in the media – what aspects of depression does A Mouthful of Air depict that are largely ignored in the public arena of child raising?
5. Julie has a delicate marital relationship with her husband. How does her childhood family experience affect her marriage and ability to communicate?
6. Before reading this book how often did you consider the impact of depression on new mothers and their loved ones? Has the term “baby blues” changed after reading A Mouthful of Air? Was your reaction positive, negative or neutral?
7. Is it appropriate to offer assistance or aid to someone you think may be suffering from post-partum depression? How would you determine when someone needed help and when they deserved their privacy?
8. Julie has conversations with herself regarding her lack of motherhood skills, social skills, and other perceived faults. Have you found yourself mimicking this behavior? Did you find yourself empathizing with Julie or criticizing her faults?
9. A Mouthful of Air centers on several “dark” subjects. In your judgment, are the subjects of the novel dark, realistic, or something else?
Click here to buy A Mouthful of Air online today!
REVIEWS & PRESS
FROM THE BOOK
BUY THE BOOK
BOOK CLUB QUESTIONS